International Leadership Texas/Lone Star Model United Nations Conference 2023
FEBRUARY 25-26, Garland, Texas
Welcome to the International Leadership Texas/Osgood Center Lone Star Model United Nations Conference 2023!
We look forward to meeting a community of learners for an interesting Model UN!
At the Osgood Center, we believe that Model UN is the perfect way to learn about international affairs and gain diplomatic skills. With the oceans getting polluted with single-use plastic, with the world threatened by nuclear weapons in wars, with the increase of epidemic diseases, young leaders like you need to be properly informed and educated about the role of the UN in addressing these and other global challenges.
The Lone Star Model UN is open for new, curious, and experienced Model UN delegates with a globally minded perspective.
You will love the ILTexas/Osgood Center Lone Star Model UN. LSMUN 2023 will be a great experience for you. You will learn about the international tools used to solve world problems in the UN and to help the world become a safer place for all of us.
LSMUN 2023 is about putting your classroom learning to work in the world and in your community; immersing you in other cultures; and, in short, going beyond your comfort zone to engage in real-world challenges.
As a delegate, in LSMUN 2023, you will learn and understand the scale and the complex nature of the global problems that require the United Nations and its Member States to step up to address them. You will gain leadership, communication, negotiation, research, and collaboration skills.
Dates and Venue
The conference will be on Saturday, FEBRUARY 25, 2023, and Sunday, FEBRUARY 26, 2023, in Garland, Texas.
LSMUN2023 will be held at the International Leadership of Texas-Garland High School, 4413 N Shiloh Rd, Garland, TX 75044.
Committee Procedures and Topics
In LSMUN2023 you will represent a country in a specific committee. During the conference, as a delegate, you will discuss 2 topics in each committee. A Committee Chair will enforce the LSMUN 2023 Rules of Procedure for an effective discussion.
Before the conference, you will learn about the topics and gain expertise while you study the background guides (BGs) provided for each committee and you conduct independent research. LSMUN 2023 will have the following committees:
|NUMBER / STRUCTURE||COMMITTEE||TOPICS|
15 delegations of 1 or 2 delegates
Up to 120 delegates (4×30)*Delegates will represent the 5 permanent members (China, France, Russian Federation, United Kingdom, and United States of America) and the 10 non-permanent members (Albania, Brazil, Gabon, Ghana, India, Ireland, Kenya, Mexico, Norway, and United Arab Emirates) of the Security Council.CHECK the country matrix for the Security Council.
|SECURITY COUNCIL (SC)
|1.Youth and Security
2. The Impact of Climate-Change Related Disasters on International Peace and Security
Up to 50 delegates eachThe major members of the World Health Assembly will be represented in this committee
|WORLD HEALTH ASSEMBLY (WHA)
|1. Universal Health Coverage: Leaving No One Behind
2. Ending the epidemics of tuberculosis, malaria, and other communicable diseases by 2030 and managing the outbreaks of infectious diseases such as Ebola, Influenza, and Zika
Up to 50 delegates each
Delegates from all the Security Council Member States plus other key members of the General Assembly
|UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT ASSEMBLY (UNEA)
||1. Creating a legally binding tool to ban plastic
2. Cutting greenhouse gas emissions and addressing equality to combat climate change
Up to 50 delegates eachDelegates from all the Security Council Members plus other key members of the General Assembly
|GENERAL ASSEMBLY FIRST COMMITTEE (GA1)
||1. Towards the total elimination of nuclear-weapons, accelerating nuclear non-proliferation, and disarmament.
2. Countering the threat posed by improvised explosive devices (IEDs)
Registering for LSMUN 2023 is simple. You just need to:
- CHECK the country matrix to DETERMINE your PREFERENCES (country assignment, committee)
- ASK your SCHOOL to register for LSMUN 2023 by filling out the registration form.
- ENCOURAGE your SCHOOL to CONTACT Shelton Williams at the Osgood Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
During the committee sessions, chairs will explain and discuss the rules (answering to roll call, adding delegations to a speakers’ list, suspending the meetings for informal sessions, working on working papers and draft resolutions, and voting) that will be set and enforced. English is the official working language in the committees. The goal in the committee is to discuss, to negotiate, to collaboratively write, and to vote resolutions to address the committee topics as it is done in the United Nations.
Delegates’ participation will be holistically evaluated to determine if:
- They realistically and consistently presented the position or viewpoint of their assigned country both in their position paper (submitted by the deadline) and their participation during the conference (in the informal and formal meetings, writing the working papers and drafting resolutions).
- They effectively advanced the interests of their assigned country while they collaborated with other Member States to reach consensus.
- They constantly exhibited leadership skills in different moments of the conference (adding their delegation’s name to the speakers’ list, listening to other delegates to find a common ground, working to get a resolution passed, engaging their fellow delegates in constructive dialogue).
- They actively participated and showed preparation
- They permanently exhibited a professional, respectful behavior (followed the Rules of Procedure, acted with decorum and professionalism, made sustained efforts).
Conference Registration OPEN – January 23, 2023
Background Guides AVAILABLE
Assessment Rubrics AVAILABLE
Country/Committee Assignments – January 23 to February 3, 2023
Late Conference Registration – February 11, 2023
Confirmation of Delegate Numbers and Delegations – February 17, 2023
Publication of POSITION PAPERS February 21-22, 2023
Submission of Payments and School Details – February 20, 2023
LSMUN2023 CONFERENCE – February 25-26, 2023
Conference resources (program schedule, background guides, country matrix, announcements, general information, and FAQs) will be posted on this website.
- Conference Schedule
- Staff Secretariat Bios
- Registration Form
- Country Matrix
- Position Papers FAQ
- Background Guide Security Council (SC)
- Background Guide United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA)
- Background Guide World Health Assembly (WHA)
- Background Guide General Assembly First Committee (GA1)
- OPENING STATEMENTS 77TH SESSION UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY FIRST COMMITTEE ON DISARMAMENT AND INTERNATIONAL SECURITY
- Country Profiles and STATEMENTS 77TH General Assembly General Debate Instructions